Friday 10 December 2010

Get Kids Moving With Badminton Fun


The other day I was watching the kids in our neighborhood looking pretty bored.  It was one of those perfect days the sky was blue and the sun was shinning.  It was a perfect day to do just about anything you could think to do outside. 

Watching the kids I could tell they couldn't think of anything to do.  This made me think about when I was a kid, and what kind of things I liked to do.  One thing came to mind that I hadn't thought of in a long time and that was badminton.  My sister and I use to play badminton for what seemed to be hours. 

Backyard badminton is a fun game almost anyone can play.  One thing I have noticed is that you don't hear about kids playing badminton these days.  I find that kind of sad.  With all the attention that is given to overweight children on the news and in the magazines, you would think badminton would be one of those games that would be recommended to get kids moving. 

After thinking about badminton and the fun I use to have playing, I went out and bought myself a badminton set. Hey, I figured I could always invite the neighborhood kids over for a game.  I found that most of the popular stores such as Fred Meyer, Wal-mart, and Target all have badminton at very reasonable prices with or without a net.  It's not absolutely necessary to have a net, when I was a kid we just use to hit it over the clothesline.  But now everyone uses dryers instead of clotheslines. 

Well, I have had the badminton set for a couple weeks now, and I was just waiting for the day I could invite one of my neighbor friends over for a game.  I was curious to know if they even knew what badminton was.  Either I was busy or the kids were busy.

But today was the day; I spotted Katy outside looking for something to do.  So I hurried outside (you would have thought I was just another kid looking for someone to play with) and asked if she had ever heard of badminton and if she would like to play.  She had seen it on television and she thought it looked hard.  I explained they were professionals and we would be playing for fun. 

So I showed her how to hold the racquet and how to hit the birdie (otherwise known as a shuttlecock).  At this point in time I didn't mark out the court size, maybe later as she develops her skills.  It didn't take long before we were hitting it back and forth.  At first she kept saying how bad she was, but after a short time of getting use to how to hit it she was feeling much better about herself. 

Badminton is a great way to get kids outside and moving around.  It can be great exercise for kids without them realizing they are exercising.  It can also boost their self-esteem once they get the hang of hitting the birdy consistently.  Badminton also develops coordination, timing, and balance.  It is basically a good all round backyard game that everyone can enjoy.  Badminton can be as competitive as you like, it is a classic game that is fun whether you strictly adhere to the rules or not. 

Today was another one of those perfect sunny days to play badminton.  And I am sure my friend will be coming over again soon.








Donna Randol is excited to help you make your child's bedroom as unique as they are. Come to Krazy Kids Bedding where we specialize in kids bedding and decor. Our products & accessories have a timeless design that won't go out of style. Make your child's bedroom a safe comfy place that inspires creativity. Come visit us at http://www.krazykidsbedding.com and find that special kids bedding that they will love!